Wednesday, June 2, 2010

There is a song

Life tends to take you all over the place. Half the time you don't realize it. You don't always feel it happening. I'm finding this to be true in the quiet hours when all I hear is the hum of engines and the ticking of our wall clock.
At most hours of the days, even when I try to make myself still internally, there is a song. Or there is a beat, melody and/or lyric in my head always. I'm not sure why I was made this way or why I can't shut it up some times but, it's really just how I am.
I work on music when it comes to me. I work on my point of view really.
The pleasure has been mine to work with dear friends on songs and we have session this weekend. I'm very excited.

At the opposite end of music(or so it would seem) I have been riding my bike, commuting, a lot. It is an excellent time to get rid of any mental stress, hum... whatever, and say hello to groundhogs.
But, in no way is it opposite. I once rode with headphones and it was a bad idea safety wise so, I went without. In the times since I can't believe half the sounds I hear. The heart gives a constant beat and you set the timing with your breathing. The wind gives a melody and birds give the counter melody. If it's a still day it's the the other way around.
Or whatever! No need to be technical or specific. It's just a great experience.
The music is everywhere.

I am thankful that after every ride I come home to...a home! Not just a house. a home. Something Em and I have worked on together. I could never have dreamed that this would mean as much as it does.
Silly me.
I played the beginning of a tune that I've been carrying around to Josh. It is called...............HOME? yes. seriously? yes.

It's really more than I can explain now but, my grandparents just sold their farm after being there over fifty years. Sold the farm with the land, most of their belongings and all of the farming equipment.
When I wrote the beginning line I imagined it as something my grandfather was asking me(we lived three hours away from each other - soon they'll be forty minutes away.)
"Tell me son, where will you build your home? So far from the ones you know..."

The rest I'll save.
But, we were there for the auction. We watched the life that was get sold off.
I walked in to a house once full of life and it was just a shell. Rooms change but, the memories stay. They are leaving a lot behind, my grandparents.
On the other end I can't wait to share a new life with them. I look forward to showing them the backyard. Our raised beds and clothesline are painted barn red. Like the country just got condensed in to a row home backyard.
I hope they like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment